For a little Friday
fun I thought I’d let you inside of my head. It’s crazy up in there. See for yourselves. Here’s my thought process that lead to this recipe.
- Focus. You’re making chicken salad.
- But there are two bags of almonds sitting in my counter space.
- Just move them over next to the fruit bowl and make the chicken salad.
- Those oranges look good. Really good. I’ll have an orange and some almonds for a snack when I’m done making this chicken salad.
- Oranges and almonds. They’re a good pair.
- Remember when Jamie was here and we tried to make Whole Foods’ Gingered Orange Almonds instead of buying them.
- We should have bought them.
- What did we do wrong? We did something very wrong. I think I want to try again…after I make this chicken salad.
- I miss Jamie. I wish she were here to make these almonds with me again. Because I’m totally making them again. Like, right now. I’ll make the chicken salad later.
- Gingered orange almonds. I need ginger.
- Ooooo vanilla beans are next to the ginger in the fridge.
- Vanilla beans are my favorite. I smell like vanilla because I wear this perfume. People always ask why I smell like cupcakes. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with my perfume.
- Vanilla beans and oranges. I feel good about this. Vanilla beans and oranges and almonds and honey. Done.
- Crap. We don’t have much honey left. This better work the first time. Recipes rarely work the first time. Don’t get too excited. Let’s do this.
- Zest sounds good, and some juice. Squeeze. Mixed with the rest of the honey. And the
almonds. Just dump them all in the bowl.
- And now…for the vanilla bean. That really is the best smell on earth.
- This actually looks like it’s working. Throw them in the oven for a bit.
- Set a timer. You WILL forget them and you have no more honey.
- You have 15 minutes to do something while they bake. Be productive.
- I’ll teach myself to wobble.
- Beeeeeep. Have I really been wobbling for 15 minutes? So much for productive.
- Oh yeah! These almonds look amazing.
- HOT! Why do you always try to eat things when they come out of the oven? Let them cool. Go be productive this time.
- I wonder if I can wobble without watching the video.
- Yes. Yes, I can.
- Ok. I’m sweating. These things have to be cool now.
- YAY!!!!! They taste so good! Really good.
- They’re a little sticky. I’ll let them sit and see if they dry out a little.
- They didn’t. I don’t mind the sticky but I think I could make it go away with a little dusting of sugar.
- Oh. That’s nice. Sticky is gone.
- These are a great snack. That was a successful 30 minutes. A sweet almond snack and a solo dance party.
- Blog it.
Orange Vanilla Almonds Ingredients : 2 cups raw almonds (about 12oz) 1 orange 1 whole vanilla bean, split and scraped 2 tablespoons honey 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2-1 tablespoon organic cane sugar for dusting (optional, if you don’t want sticky almonds) Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wash and zest 1/2 the orange.
- In a bowl combine, almonds, zest, juice from the whole orange, the scraped vanilla beans, honey and salt. Mix well.
- Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Be sure to check often as nuts can burn quickly.
- Let cool completely.
- Place the almonds in a container (or baggie) and sprinkle with a sugar if desired. Shake around to coat the almonds.
- I only used about 1/2 a tablespoon of sugar. Just sprinkle a little at a time and use what you need until the sticky is gone.
- These are crazy good. Happy Friday. Let’s dance.