I’m baaaack! And I brought bacon!
There are two recipes happening here so let’s break it down. First, the nut butter. If you’ve read this blog before, you know I like to throw nuts in a food processor and pretend like I made something amazing. So I did that again. But this time I added bacon. I know!! This is all you have to do: Make bacon, toast pecans, process them together, then own it. YOU are a fantastic cook.
You can stop here and just get a spoon. I won’t judge. But you’ll be missing out on warm, healthy, banana bread. That’s not something I recommend, but it’s your call. Top a fresh-from-the-oven slice of homemade banana bread with creamy, melty, bacon pecan butter or just quit now. Really though, your call… but no one likes quitters.
The bread. OMG the bread. It’s grain free. Do you know what that means? It means there’s no wheat flour, rice flour, oat flour, etc. in there and it still tastes incredible. I promise you, I don’t share gross. It’s not a brick loaf with a dozen eggs or a chewy, dense bread with a kazillion weird ingredients. It’s just pure, healthy goodness and the only way it could possibly get better would be to spread bacon on top. Duh.
Bacon Pecan Butter
8oz unsalted pecans, roasted
- Cook bacon to extra crispy using your desired method. I prefer baking it on a broiler pan at 350 so some of the fat drains. It takes a good 30 minutes or so to get it to my desired crispiness. You can pan fry it or even use a microwave, you just want it crispy!
- Roast the pecans as I explain in this post or toast for a few minutes in a toaster oven (that’s what I do).
- Combine the pecans and bacon in a food processor and process until creamy. This will take at least 15 minutes. If you feel like your machine needs a break. Turn it off and let it sit for a while. Let it finish processing later. It can sit as long as you need it to sit. Scrape out of processor into a jar. Store in refrigerator.
Paleo Banana Bread (adapted from Against All Grain) <—this cookbook is AMAZING!
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup light coconut milk (from can)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cashew flour (or other nut flour)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a stand mixer, combine the bananas, coconut milk, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs. Beat until fully combined. The bananas should break down and the mixture should be very wet.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, cinnamon, baking soda, coconut flour and cashew flour.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased standard 9×5 loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Let cool some in the pan before slicing. If you cut while steaming hot, it will break apart. Let it set. It’s hard, but try.
- I tried to add different levels of sweetness to the pecan butter using combinations of maple syrup, vanilla, and/or honey. Jon and I both liked it best plain but feel free to play around and see what you like.
- This would make a great hostess gift if you’re heading to a house party for New Year’s…if you want to share it.
- I’m off to Puerto Rico. Happy New Year!! See ya when I get back!
- Let’s stay connected. Make it Naked’s on: